Monday, May 12, 2008

Theme for a Strange World

Although a work of fiction, Metasearch’s Reverie story was inspired by actual experiences of people I’ve known. It didn’t matter to me whether these events could be explained; what fascinated me was the experience itself. Sure, a scientist could say that all this is caused by something as simple as sleep paralysis, and I’m fine with that. But as a writer of fiction, the explanation to me is irrelevant. What matters is the perception of the experience by the individual, which makes for a great story element.

I have yet to meet a person, both believer and skeptic, that doesn’t have a strange event that happened in their life. These events are usually so personal that it triggers a mixture of reactions on the listener. If your mother tells you she had a conversation with your grandfather the night of his death anniversary, most people will likely go through a wide spectrum of thoughts from “Holy shit!” to “Nah! That was just a manifestation of her subconscious grieving for grandpa,” to “Why would my mother lie to me about such a thing?”

In the end you don’t really know what to believe. One thing is certain, your primal fear of the unknown and your evolved sense of logic will be at odds. Which one will come out on top depends purely in what the person chooses to accept as true. If you feel like sharing your own unusual experiences, please drop by the forum. I started a new discussion group about the topic and I’d love to hear what you have to say. Believe nothing, but keep and open mind. I’ll see you in the page.

Oddman Out