Friday, May 9, 2008

Words Don't Come Easy

If you are a regular Metasearch reader, you might have noticed that all the pages have been re-lettered. The change comes from both cosmetic and practical reasons. Metasearch is now a web comic instead of a print prospect, and as such, needs to be more legible. Plus, I have learned much about lettering since I first began it. It’s still an area I need to keep exploring. The time that I’ve spent reworking the graphic novel really made me see, once again, how much more substance there is to lettering.

Leonardo da Vinci said: “Art is never finished, only abandoned.” Going through the back pages of Metasearch, I couldn’t agree more. A change here, a little editing there, it seems that there is always something that could be just a little bit better. I think an art piece is like a finger print that encapsulates who we are at that moment; a frozen sliver of time left behind as we continue evolving. Every now and then, when I look at some of my old work, it reminds me of what was happening in my world when I created it, almost like going through a time capsule… well, enough of this nostalgic babbling. I hope you enjoy the new lettering. I’ll see you in the page.

Oddman Out