Friday, April 11, 2008

The Artistic Side of Art

I’ve always been fascinated by the work of the director of photography in movies. The junction where art meets science to create beautiful images is always overlooked, but nonetheless haunting. From the dream-like opening images of the desert in The English Patient, to the amazing candle-lit scenes of Barry Lyndon, to the symbolic exposures of Traffic. The way a film is photographed is as important as the direction, writing, score, or acting.

One of the things I wanted to do in Metasearch was to give each scene its own unique look and feel; not only in the quality of light, but with the use of shadows, a distinctive color palette and textures. I designed each scene with the overall mood and impact I wanted to convey as part of the storytelling process. It is a facet of the creative process that I take into consideration almost at the very inception of every book.

I believe with the advent of the digital artist, comic books have taken an unprecedented artistic quality that has been missing from the medium with counted exceptions like Simon Bisley, Sam Kieth, Alex Ross, Jim Steranko, and David Mack, to name a few. I hate it when I go to a comic book store and I see a really cool cover only to find that the content within looks nothing like it. I understand that the tight schedule of a mainstream on-going series doesn’t allow much room for art development, but it is refreshing to see that there is still room for less conventional voices in the medium. I’ll see you in the page.

Oddman Out