Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Even Flow

I remember writing this scene many moons ago. It was by far my favorite scene of the first chapter. I’m very fond of the dialogue and the setting, and to see something that was mere words on paper, become alive exactly as you envision it, is pretty amazing. The other thing I like about this scene is that it’s the first exterior scene at day. After going through six pages of cloistered settings, the spacious, bright, and relaxed atmosphere of these panels are a nice contrast. Every time I hit page seven, I just want to breathe in deeply.

When I started writing Metasearch, I was experimenting with different styles of narrative. I wanted it to be non-linear, but I didn’t want it to be the kind of story that keeps jumping around. Also, I wanted readers to stumble into Metasearch’s world as if already in progress instead of making it your typical origin story. I thought it was far more interesting to see something that has been going on since who-knows-when; thus adding to the mystery of the book.

It is also worthy to note that Gabriel, our protagonist in this page, was the very first Metasearch character I created when I first thought of the book. The first draft of Metasearch was about one psychic investigator named Gabriel, but I soon ditched the idea when I saw it was much more interesting to write this book as a “team”, playing off the personalities of the other characters.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy reading this scene as much as I enjoyed creating it. I’ll see you in the page.

Oddman Out