Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Waiting is the Hardest Part

The interesting thing about mixed media, especially in the digital era, is that you get to experiment endlessly until you hit a combination that is just right for your vision. From its inception, Metasearch was meant to be a mixed media book. I had two ideas in mind: 1) I wanted to have my own style. 2) I wanted Metasearch to have a unique and signature look. I knew I wanted to lean on digital painting as much as I could. But as I kept experimenting, I found that if I added other elements like illustration, a particular look started developing and I fell in love with it. It was a “Eureka!” moment indeed; one that took a very long time and a lot of trial and error to achieve. Art is definitely an ever-changing, ongoing process.

In the past, I have met people (all of them non-artists) who really can’t understand the concept of development. They think you just sit down and hit the nail on the head right at the get go. Otherwise you are just wasting your time. Take a look at any artist in any art form in any era and you will always find growth. You might argue that such and such period was their best, but the undeniable fact is that their work changes with time. The longer we experience this world, the more it affects the way we express it. I’ll see you in the page.

Oddman Out