Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A Day in the Life

So finally we get to Claire, the last member of our psychic team. Claire is an interesting character to write because of her disparities: a Catholic who is a scientist (a psychiatrist) with astounding psychic abilities. Also, unlike her other teammates, she is the only one that is not all too comfortable about her gifts. As an empath, she pays an emotional price every time she uses her talents. These elements make for a challenging, yet satisfying character to bring to life.

Another tidbit about Dr. Winslowe is that she was inspired by a real person. When I was still going through the character creation process, I was going through the challenges of finding a name and a look for the character. I knew it had to be a blonde since Acantha was a brunette, but I wasn’t satisfied with what I had come up with so far. Then I had dinner with a couple of friends and I was introduced to a blonde with short hair by the name of Claire, and it just hit me. There it was! Both the name and the look of the character knocked down with one stone. That was the first and last time I saw that person, but the influence lived on.

One of the greatest things about any creative endeavor is that inspiration can come from anywhere. Even in the most trite, disconnected moment, if you are paying attention you can find the answer. I’ll see you in the page.

Oddman Out