Monday, April 21, 2008

Things That Make You Go Hmm

Last week I talked about cool little details and private jokes, and this page is an example of it. Gabriel’s hospital badge was one of those page details that I had a kick doing. I even get a bigger kick when people ask me if I’m not worried that “The London Royal Hospital” might sue me for using their name. I would… if such a hospital actually existed. It probably took me as much time to create the badge as it did to create that panel. It might be insignificant to the reader, but to me, it grounds the novel in its own reality. I think about those little things as Easter eggs in a way; something that creates a multi-layer experience for the reader. Being aware of them doesn’t affect the story itself, but it gives joy to a reader who has a keen eye for the author’s indulgences. Of course, others are meant as private jokes only known to the author and those close to him.

As an aside, starting this week, Metasearch and its respective blog will be updated three times a week: Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays; to ensure uninterrupted publishing. Also, you might have noticed the little banner at the very bottom of this page, or at the lower left corner of the Metasearch page where you can vote for the novel. Please do! This whole project means nothing without your support. Thank you and I’ll see you in the page.

Oddman Out