Monday, June 9, 2008

Always Near You/No Place to Hide

Aside from the world within a world concept in Metasearch, there’s also the concept of “nothing is what it seems.” Like a cadence, this concept is repeated through “Reverie” on different occasions; from the murders, to the team’s introduction, to page 30. What we initially think appears to be a normal scene, soon turns into something extraordinary. The trivial aspect of the interaction, i.e. a conversation in the park, makes the supernatural occurrence even more surreal.

One of the elements that I like about the story is the proximity of the paranormal to every day life. When I look into a crowd like in a mall or when I’m stuck in traffic, I can’t help but wonder how many stories are around me. One of these people might be a spy on their way to uncover a state secret, or driving to pay a ransom, or being deployed behind enemy lines in some black operation. After all, everybody is a world unto themselves. I’ll see you in the page.

Oddman Out