Monday, June 16, 2008

Food for Thought

The ability to know what a character thinks is native to the literary form. It’s one of the elements that make reading a unique experience. I deliberately chose to do without it for Metasearch to maintain a level of suspense. It’s my intention that the reader discovers the elements of the novel along with the characters. The exception to this rule is Inspector McConnor, who I wanted to be the only inner voice in “Reverie”; plus it adds to his film noir feel. McConnor, in a way, is the narrator; and like I’ve said before, he is the main channel through which the reader experiences the story.

It would have been easy to fill page 34 with internal dialog, but I’d rather keep the panels blank, so the reader can project their own thoughts in what I like to call the “quiet pages.” I see them as a blank canvas in which the reader can interact with the plot. They can follow the character and “write” their own internal dialog to the scene. This is the sort of interaction and submersion I strive to achieve. There’s no better scene than the one played out in the public’s mind. I’ll see you in the page.

Oddman Out