Friday, June 27, 2008

Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing

Going through the old blog entries I found out that I’ve been remiss in talking about Gabriel. I did mention some factoids about him, but never got to talk in depth about the character. Aside from what I’ve already said in the “Even Flow” post, Gabriel DeNegro is the easiest character to write for me. He represents the New Age take on the supernatural. DeNegro is candid, easy going, gregarious, and enjoys the ironies of life; an attitude that stems from living between the physical and the metaphysical world. His place of birth is the city of Vigo, Spain in an area called Galicia. Once Celtic land, Galicia is known as “terra das meigas,” Galician for “land of the meigas.” Meigas are the traditional folk witches of Galicia. It’s a part of Spain rich with supernatural folktales and believes. This is in line with the concept that each member of Metasearch comes from a place Europe rich with occult lore.

Gabriel’s last name is somewhat uncomfortable for English speakers. Take the first to letters of his surname and you’ll understand why. I’ve been asked why didn’t I choose something different, but the genesis of his particular family name comes from a person I know, who had a much more compromising last name. As I writer, I fall in love with life little quirks, and use them to make my characters more real. Not everyone can be like Homer Simpson and choose to change their names to the more appealing “Max Power.”

DeNegro’s amazing ESP abilities not only forged his character, but his chosen profession as a holistic healer in the critical wing of a hospital. He was supposed to be originally a parapsychologist, but that honor went to Acantha so each character had a job becoming of their gifts and personalities. There you have it, the elusive, yet accessible Gabriel. I’ll see you in the page.

Oddman Out