Friday, June 13, 2008

Just Because

Every now and then I find the rare chance to submit Reverie to a publisher. This little song and dance has gone on for several years now, and it has taken several incarnations. As you might have guessed, no one has answered my knocking on the door… yet, and I don’t lose hope. You can say I have an unwavering belief in my work. Curiously enough rejection is still hard to stomach. Human nature I guess. I can take professional rejection with no problem, but when it is related to my graphic novel, it hits a little close to my heart. What has changed is the recovering time: You read the rejection letter, you feel the kick in your gut, you bitch and complain, you have a couple of drinks, and the next morning, you move on as if nothing happened. Self-publishing on-line has a unique sense of solitude. You’re not handing out anything, you just post it and hopefully people will click and read.

Personally the payoff of all this comes from the people who take the time to email me about their regard for my work. When you really think about it, these people have no other motivation to do this other than their genuine enjoyment of what I do, and their gregarious choice to convey it to me. What good would a storyteller be without an audience gathered around the fire to hear his tales? I believe when art is done for yourself, it is self-expression; when you find an audience, it is communication; and when you make money out of it, it’s a career. I spend a lot of time in the “self-expression” stage, and to finally be able to communicate my vision to others has been very rewarding.

I want to thank all of you out there who have honored me with your emails and support. As sappy as it might sound, you have given me one more reason to keep on doing what I love. Now move closer to the fire so I can continue my tale… I’ll see you in the page.

Oddman Out