Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Working Man

Having a life, working, and doing a web comic that updates three times a week is no easy feat. People might consider Metasearch my hobby, but to me it’s a second job. A job I love, but it’s hard work nonetheless. Not that I’m complaining. I guess the hardest thing is to be vigilant about producing the book. I always say that if I don’t take it seriously, no one will. Some people are even mystified by the fact that I’m so adamant about keeping up my self-imposed publishing schedule. Can’t really blame them, as I don’t get a salary for it, I answer to no one about it, and since the novel is still in its web infancy, the readership is still growing. So why do I care if comes out on Monday or next Thursday? I believe that if you want to be professional at anything, you should act like one.

My father once told me: “Consistency, hard work, and discipline are the keys to success.” The older I get, the more truthful this maxim gets. There’s an artistic need that is met by doing my graphic novel. There’s also some gratification when readers tell you they enjoy your work. But there is an inherent feeling of satisfaction in carrying a task to completion no matter the payoff (if any). A blue collar concept perhaps, and sadly, one that’s almost extinct in today’s society. I’ll end this rant with one of my favorite quotes.

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The Slogan “Press On” has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.” Calvin Coolidge 1932

I’ll see you in the page.

Oddman Out